Friday, January 13, 2012

Ronald Reagan was wrong about Energy Policy

After the 1970's oil embargo, Jimmy Carter put in place new energy policies that were on track to make us energy independent.  Instead Ronald Reagan came into office scrapped those programs and put the money into the military budget so we could defend our gas stations at dangerous locations.  I'd rather be energy independent.  Now thirty years later we are scrambling once again with the same problems and threats.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  I certainly don't want to compete with China for oil.  Competition isn't always a good thing.  Let's forget all the tree hugging stuff, even though I think that is very important and let's just look at our budgets and alternative energy..  How much more money could we have for other stuff if we just solve this problem.  I probably won't be able to afford my home in the Northeast because of rising fuel costs.  I would love to reduce that bill, but I don't want it to come at the price of clean water which is what the frackers want to do everywhere to get the gas.  We need to look at this from a cost effective perspective that gets us sustainable energy without killing life everywhere.  I want solar panels on my roof and need to move to Florida in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment